Home' Australian Pharmacist : Australian Pharmacist May 2014 Contents Australian Pharmacist May 2014 I ©Pharmaceutical Society of Australia Ltd.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1. Which of the following represents
the 2014 trivalent influenza
a) Texas, Las Vegas, Massachusetts.
b) California, Brisbane, Victoria.
c) California, Texas, Massachusetts.
d) Massachusetts, Victoria, Wisconsin.
2. Which of the following does NOT
qualify for ‘free’ vaccination under
the National Immunisation Program
a) >65 years of age.
d) BMI >25 kg/m2
3. The number of influenza-related
deaths in people over 50 in Australia
each year is:
a) Estimated at more than 3,000.
b) Estimated at more than 30,000.
c) Zero, there are no deaths from influenza
d) Estimated at more than 300,000.
4. All of the following are
contraindications for the influenza
a) Severe allergy to eggs.
b) History of Guillain-Barre syndrome.
c) Second trimester pregnancy.
d) Severe allergy to influenza vaccination
in the past.
Ensure you have the space in terms of
a consulting room and a comfortable
area for the 15 minute post-vaccination
surveillance and all areas are well
maintained, professional, clinical
Ensure all your staff are adequately
trained and are comfortable to discuss
the benefits of influenza vaccination
with every customer during the flu
Whist this focus will help
identify customers eligible for NIP
and referral to a GP, it also opens up
significant opportunity for all pharmacy
staff to help maximise appointments
across all influenza vaccine clinics.
The time is now to embrace services
such as immunisation within community
The overall benefit in increasing
herd immunity and improving
consumer access is clear and has been
demonstrated both in Australia and
overseas. The next level of opportunity
exists in leveraging off influenza
vaccination services to further imbed
pharmacy as a real health service
destination. Once a customer receives a
vaccination at the pharmacy, it is hoped
their expectation of and appetite for
other health solutions also increases.
• Immunisation Handbook 10th Edition:
• PSA Practice guidelines for the
provision of immunisation services
within pharmacy: www.psa.org.au/
• National Immunisation Program:
• WHO - Influenza: www.who.int/topics/
• Influenza Specialist Group:
• National Centre for Immunisation
Research and Surveillance:
• The PSA Self Care Immunisation
Action Kit which includes a wide
range of resources including a special
services agreement template and a
community feedback evaluation form.
1. Influenza specialist group - Influenza activity and
surveillance [Internet]. 2014 [updated 2014 Mar 31; cited
2014 Apr 1]. At: www.isg.org.au/index.php/influenza-
2. National centre for immunisation research and
surveillance – influenza fact sheet [Internet]. 2014
[updated 2014 Apr 1; cited 2014 Apr 1]. At:www.ncirs.edu.
3. A revision of the system of nomenclature for influenza
viruses: a WHO Memorandum. Bulletin of the World Health
Organization 1980; Feb 58 (4): 585–91.
4. Immunisation Handbook 10th edition. [Internet] 2014
[updated 2014 Jan 17; cited 2014 Mar 31]. At: www.
5. Prosser L, Bridges C, Uyeki T, Hinrichsen V, Meltzer M,
Molinari N. Health benefits, risks, and cost-effectiveness
of influenza vaccination of children. Emerg Infect Dis
[Internet] 2014 [updated 2006 Oct; cited 2014 Mar 31]. At:
6. Immunise Australia program [Internet]. 2014 [updated
2014 Mar 6; cited 2014 Mar 31]. At: www.immunise.health.
7. Newall A, Scuffham P. Influenza-related disease: the cost
to the Australian healthcare system. Vaccine 2008 Dec
8. NCIRS Fact sheet. Influenza vaccines for Australians. April
2014. At: www.ncirs.edu.au/immunisation/fact-sheets/
9. Hook S, Windle J. Community pharmacy influenza
immunisation increases vaccine uptake and gains public
approval. ANZJPH 2013;37(5): 489–91.
10. Warner G, Portlock J, Smith J, Rutter P. Increasing
seasonal influenza vaccination uptake using community
pharmacies: experience from the Isle of Wight, England.
International Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2013 21(6):
11. PSA guidelines for the provision of immunisation services
within pharmacy [Internet]. 2014 [updated 2014 Jan; cited
2014 Mar 31]. At: www.psa.org.au/policies/guidelines-for-
Links Archive Australian Pharmacist April 2014 Australian Pharmacist June 2014 Navigation Previous Page Next Page