Home' Australian Pharmacist : Australian Pharmacist November 2012 Contents Australian Pharmacist November 2012 I ©Pharmaceutical Society of Australia Ltd. 911
hydrochloride) has been
PBS listed for treating renal cell carcinoma
(RCC). Which accounts for about 90% of
all cases of kidney cancer. In 2007 there
were more than 2,500 new kidney cancer
cases diagnosed in Australia.1 About a
third of patients diagnosed with RCC
have metastatic disease, which means it
has spread to other parts of the body.2
Votrient is an orally administered potent
multi-target tyrosine kinase inhibitor with
demonstrated safety and tolerability.3,4 In
a pivotal trial of patients with advanced or
metastatic RCC, the length of time for the
cancer to get worse following treatment
(progression free survival) was 11.1 months
with Votrient compared to 2.8 months
with placebo, in patients who had not
received prior treatment (HR 0.40, 95% CI
0.27 -- 0.60, p<0.0001).3,4 This represents
a 60% reduction in the risk of the cancer
progressing during treatment with
pazopanib hydrochloride. Votrient is well
tolerated and the majority of side effects
seen in the trial were mild to moderate in
severity and clinically manageable, with a
quality of life comparable to the placebo
Australian Oncologist Professor Ian Davis
who participated in the trial said the
reimbursement means that patients with
advanced RCC now have a greater choice of
1. Cancer Council, Accessed on 24 Jul 2012: www.cancer.org.au/
2. Patard JJ, Kim HL, Lam JS, et al. Use of the University of
California Los Angeles integrated staging system to predict
survival in renal cell carcinoma: an international multicenter
study. J Clin Oncol 2004;15:22(16)3316-22.
3. Sternberg CN, Davis ID, Mardiak J et al. Pazopanib in locally
advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma: results of a
randomized phase III Trial. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:1061--68.
4. Approved Votrient Product Information. Date of most recent
amendment: 30 Aug 2012.
circadian rhythms has been prescribed to
almost 20,000 patients since TGA approval
despite its private prescription status.1,2
Servier Laboratories which manufactures
Valdoxan confirmed that the high level of
enthusiasm for the first-in-class therapy
among psychiatrists is behind its decision
to commence a GP education program.
The program will be accompanied by the
roll-out of a smartphone app for patients
that will provide medication reminders
and allow them to track their symptoms
and report these to their treating
physician through an electronic mood
diary. Professor Bruce Singh, consultant
psychiatric at the Melbourne Clinic,
explained that agomelatine works entirely
differently to traditional antidepressants
that increase the neurotransmitter
serotonin and is 'really the first different
mechanism in 50 years'. Circadian rhythms
are significantly disrupted in many
people with depression and this can
result in some of the most characteristic
symptoms of the condition, including an
inability to function normally, low mood
and a loss of alertness, appetite and
energy.4 Valdoxan helps to resynchronise
the body's circadian rhythms which can
be profoundly disrupted in patients with
depression.5-13 The therapy does this by
stimulating MT1 and MT2 receptors and
blocking 5-HT2C receptors, which all
play a key role in the regulation of the
body's circadian rhythms.5,14 Valdoxan
is approved for the treatment of major
depression in adults, including the
prevention of relapse.5
1. Servier. Data on File. 2012.
2. de Bodinat C, et al. Nat. Rev. Drug Discovery. 2010;9(8):628--42.
3. Boyce P, et al. Aust Fam Phys, 2010;39(5):307--10.
4. Hickie I, et al. Lancet;378(9791):621--31.
5. Valdoxan Approved Product Information
6. Germain A, et al. Human Psychopharmacol. Clin. Exp.
7. Leproult R, et al. Clin Endocrinol 2005;63:298--304.
8. Redman J, et al. J Biol Rhythm 1998;13:39--51.
9. Armstrong S, et al. Pharm Biochemistry & Behaviour
10. Boivin D. J Psych Neuroscience 2000;25:446--58.
11. Souetre S, et al. Psychiatry Research 1988;28;263--78.
12. Kasper S, et al. J Clin Psychiatry 2010;71(2):109--20.
13. Lemoine P. et al. J Clin Psychiatry 2007;68:1723--32.
14. Kennaway D. Brain Research 1998;806:257--70.
Sanofi Australia has welcomed the
Federal Government's approval Jevtana
(cabazitaxel) Injection concentrate
60mg/1.5mL for reimbursement through
the PBS. The decision to recommend the
listing was made by the Pharmaceutical
Benefits Advisory Committee in March.
Jevtana is reimbursed, in combination
with prednisone or prednisolone, for
the treatment of castration resistant
metastatic carcinoma of the prostate in
a patient who has failed treatment with
docetaxel due to resistance or intolerance
and has a WHO performance status of
Zatamil (mometasone furoate) -- New in the
ght against eczema, psoriasis and atopic
Ego Pharmaceuticals is pleased to
announce the launch of Zatamil
(mometasone furoate 0.1%), a
powerful yet gentle1 solution in the
fight against eczema, psoriasis and
atopic dermatitis. It is available in three
powerful formulations -- ointment, lotion
Zatamil hydrogel is an Australian first. "Vehicle selection has been shown to affect patient
acceptance and adherence thereby influencing treatment outcome." [Dr Nathan S
Trookman & Dr Ronald L Rizer (PhD)]3
An ideal formulation should be easy to apply and remove, non-irritating and readily
absorbed into the skin without leaving a greasy or tactile residue or a shiny film.3
Zatamil Hydrogel is an alcohol and surfactant-free formulation4 providing less irritancy and
drying potential. For further information contact Ego Pharmaceuticals 1800 033 706.
1. Mometason furoate. Kelly JW et al. Australas J Dermatol 1991;32(2):85-91.
2. Search conducted on 28/08/12. Search term used 'mometasone'. Website: www.ebs.tga.gov.au
3. Trookman NS, Rizer RL. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol 2011;4(11):34-38.
4. Zatamil Product Information approved by TGA on 10/05/12.
Links Archive Australian Pharmacist December 2012 Australian Pharmacist October 2012 Navigation Previous Page Next Page