Home' Australian Pharmacist : Australian Pharmacist January 2016 Contents Australian Pharmacist January 2016 I © Pharmaceutical Society of Australia Ltd.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1. Which ONE of the following
statements is INCORRECT?
a) Currently clozapine usage worldwide
is not adequately aligned with the
population that requires it most.
b) Around one-third of clozapine users
may experience hyper salivation.
c) Mental health consumers do not feel
subjected to stigma from community
d) Clozapine can be dispensed for
stabilised consumers by community
pharmacists registered in the program.
2. Which ONE of the following
statements is INCORRECT? Clozapine:
a) Can be accessed via any community
pharmacy in Australia since June 2015.
b) Is effective for treatment-resistant
c) Can cause a range of adverse effects
including haematological and
d) Levels can potentially be increased
in a person concurrently taking
3. Which ONE of the following
statements about the supply of
clozapine is INCORRECT?
a) Supply of clozapine restricted to one
health sector only, such as the hospital
setting, can contribute to consumer
b) Clozapine is a safe drug for treatment of
schizophrenia with minimal restrictions
on supply and monitoring requirements.
c) A pharmacist concerned about
the health of a consumer taking
clozapine which suggests symptoms
of an infection, should contact their
prescriber, case manager or coordinator.
d) Pharmacists should keep accurate and
timely records of clozapine supply from
4. In which of the following situations is
it safe for a pharmacist to continue to
a) Person with flu-like symptoms and a
WCC of 2.5 x 109.
b) Person who says they feel very well and
healthy with a WCC of = 3.0 x 109
c) Person with an ANC of 2.2 x 109 and
WCC of 3.9 x 109.
d) Person with an ANC of 1.2 x 109 and
5. Which ONE of the following
statements is CORRECT?
a) A pharmacist can dispense clozapine
from more than one pharmacy if they
are registered to dispense from those
b) If a consumer in their 30th week of
treatment presents 4 days after their
blood tests, they are only entitled to
a total of 27 days’ supply, unless full
supply is authorised via their monitoring
c) If a pharmacy runs out of stock of
Clopine, they can give the person
Clozaril for that supply.
d) Clonidine is more effective than
hyoscine for treating clozapine-induced
1. Leucht S, Komossa K, Rummel-Kluge C, et al. A meta-analysis
of head-to-head comparisons of second-generation
antipsychotics in the treatment of schizophrenia. Am J
Psychiatry 2009;166(2):152 –63.
2. Farooq S, Taylor M. Clozapine: dangerous orphan or neglected
friend? Br J Psychiatry 2011;198(4):247–9.
3. Conley RR, Buchanan RW. Evaluation of treatment-resistant
schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1997;23(4):663–74.
4. Warnez S, Alessi-Severini S. Clozapine: a review of clinical
practice guidelines and prescribing trends. BMC Psychiatry
5. Malalagama G, Bastiampillai T, Dhillon R. Clozapine use in
Australia. Australas Psychiatry 2011;19(2):175.
6. Vella SC, Pai NB. Prevalance & prescription: prescribing
practices of clozapine in Australia between 2005 & 2010.
Online J Health Allied Sci 2012;11(1).
7. Forrester T, Siskind D, Winckel K, et al. Increasing clozapine
dispensing trends in Queensland, Australia 2004–2013.
8. Allen C. Clozapine. Australian Pharmacist 2015;34(6):60–4 .
9. Cohen D. Prescribers fear as a major side-effect of clozapine.
Acta Psychiatr Scand 2014;130(2):154–5.
10. Nielsen J, Dahm M, Lublin H, et al. Psychiatrists’ attitude
towards and knowledge of clozapine treatment. J
11. Australian Government Department of Health.
Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. Changes to certain s100
programs. 2015. At: www.pbs.gov.au/info/general/changes-
12. Morgan S, Yoder LH. A concept analysis of person-centered
care. J Holist Nurs 2012;30(1):6–15.
13. Sansom LN, ed. Australian pharmaceutical formulary and
handbook. 23rd edn. Canberra: Pharmaceutical Society of
14. Government of South Australia. SA Health. Clozapine.
2015. At: www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/
15. Holmes NJ, Miles SW, Wheeler AJ. Development of user-
friendly consumer and health professional resources for the
antipsychotic clozapine: a New Zealand example. BMJ Innov
16. Best Practice Advocacy Centre New Zealand. Safer prescribing
of high-risk medicines: clozapine. 2014. At: www.bpac.org.nz/
17. Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. Professional practice
standards. Version 4. Canberra: PSA; 2010.
18. Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. Code of ethics for
pharmacists. Canberra: PSA; 2011.
19. Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. Privacy obligations for
pharmacists. 2014. At: www.psa.org.au/supporting-practice/
20. Hattingh HL, Knox K, Fejzic J, et al. Privacy and confidentiality:
perspectives of mental health consumers and carers in
pharmacy settings. Int J Pharm Pract 2015;23(1):52–60 .
21. SANE Australia. Media release: Stigma hurtful and common
for people with mental illness. 2011. At: www.sane.org/
22. Mental Health Council of Australia. Consumer and carer
experiences of stigma from mental Health and other health
professionals. Canberra: MHCA, 2011. At: www.mhaustralia.
23. Knox K, Kelly F, Mey A, et al. Australian mental health
consumers’ and carers’ experiences of community pharmacy
ser vice. Health Expect 2014; doi: 10.1111/hex.12179 (epub
ahead of print).
24. Mey A, Fowler JL, Knox K, et al. Review of community
pharmacy staff educational needs for supporting mental
health consumers and carers. Community Ment Health J
25. Clozaril patient monitoring system (CPMS) protocol. Novartis
Pharmaceuticals Australia; 2009.
26. Clopineconnect. Hospira Australia; 2015.
27. Winckel K, Siskind D, Hollingworth S, et al. Clozapine in the
community: improved access or risky free-for-all? Aust N Z J
28. Australian Government Department of Health.
Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme: Clozapine; 2015.
29. Queensland Government Queensland Legislation. General
conditions of dispensing (Chapter 3 Part 4 s193). In: Health
(Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996.
30. Therapeutic Goods Administration. Product and consumer
medicines information: clozaril and clopine. 2015.
31. Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. Queensland Mental
Health Pharmacists Group. Clozapine: its place in our
32. Praharaj SK, Arora M, Gandotra S. Clozapine-induced
sialorrhea: pathophysiology and management strategies.
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2006;185(3):265–73.
33. Boyce HW, Bakheet MR. Sialorrhea: a review of a vexing, often
unrecognized sign of orophar yngeal and esophageal disease.
J Clin Gastroenterol 2005;39(2):89–97.
34. Clozaril product information AUSDI: Phoenix Medical
Publishing Pty Limited; 2015.
35. Schizophrenia and related psychoses. In: eTG complete.
Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Ltd. 2015.
36. Thompson L, McCabe R. The effect of clinician-patient alliance
and communication on treatment adherence in mental
health care: a systematic review. BMC Psychiatry 2012;12:87.
37. Castle D, Lambert T, Melbourne S, et al. A clinical monitoring
system for clozapine. Australas Psychiatry 2006;14(2):156–68.
38. Government of South Australia. SA Health. Interactions
between Clozapine and other drugs. 2015. At:
39. Taylor D. Pharmacokinetic interactions involving clozapine. Br
J Psychiatry 1997;171:109–12.
40. SANE Australia. Schizophrenia: Costs an anaylsis of the burden
of schizophrenia and related suicide in australia. South
Melbourne: SANE Australia; 2002. At: www.aftercare.com.au/
41. Lucas C, Martin J. Smoking and drug interactions. Aust Prescr
42. Prochaska JO, Velicer WF. The transtheoretical model of health
behavior change. Am J Health Promot 1997;12(1):38–48.
43. Rossi S, ed. Australian medicines handbook. Adelaide:
Australian Medicines Handbook Pty Ltd; 2015.
44. Australian Government. Quitline. 2012. At: www.quitnow.
45. Hughes JR, McHugh P, Holtzman S. Caffeine and
schizophrenia. Psychiatr Serv 1998;49(11):1415–17.
46. Carrillo JA, Herraiz AG, Ramos SI,. Effects of caffeine
withdrawal from the diet on the metabolism of clozapine
in schizophrenic patients. J Clin Psychopharmacol
Links Archive Australian Pharmacist December 2015 Australian Pharmacist February 2016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page